Reclaim Your Power
We come into this world not caring what anyone thinks of us. As a baby we scream, cry, poop and do not give a hoot what anyone thinks.
Yet somewhere along the way, we were taught through society that we have to act and behave in a certain way to fit in. This planted the birth of our ego.
Definition of Ego:
your idea or opinion of yourself, especially your feeling of your own importance and ability.
Our ego changes us from who we truly are, to who society wants us to be. We learn to numb out our inner voice and who we actually are at our core.
This gives away our power to others. We become conditioned to fit society standards, by thinking we should look, act and dress and act a certain way. (We fit into cultural norms and ‘trends’ by doing what everyone else is doing. Baaaaaaa. Yes, we become sheep: we forget how to think for ourselves what WE really want, instead of what others THINK we SHOULD want.)
It is our ego that lives in our head. (EGO – Edging God Out). It tries to keep us safe by “fitting in”, by trying to have more Instagram followers, loose more bodyweight.” Our ego can be good as it wants us to be safe and have a community that we are part off. However, sometimes these communities we find ourselves in can be toxic. Too much ego means over thinking, headaches, over worrying, anxious thoughts, depression. Basically, the ego is associated with over thinking of any kind. Life driven by the ego means spending most of our time in our heads.
We can’t be of much help or service to people who need it the most if we are so concerned about that one spot in our face or that we don’t have the latest outfit or whatever concern you have. These shallow thoughts are energy vampires – they waste our time and leave us feeling tired.
Instead, when we focus our energy on serving others, ironically it makes us happier and feel more energised and fulfilled.
Lucky for us, there is an escape route. We don’t have to live from the head (ego). We can CHOOSE to change.
Instead, the answer to all our prayers is just down south a few centimeters from the head. It is the heart. (corny, but bear with me)
Life gets better when we make the transition to living from our heartspace instead of our headspace. There is no judgement in our heartspace. There is only forgiveness, peace and love.
Living from the heart space is where life begins. When living from this space, you will no longer care what anyone thinks of you. You will be so full of love and light that you just want to help serve humanity and the planet.
Here are ways to get into the heartspace and out of the headspace:
· Write out positive affirmations every day and repeat them in your head often (two great ones are ‘I am enough’ & “I am worthy)
· Give more hugs
· Do a random act of kindness each day (buy the person behind you a cup of coffee, let a car out infront of you, leave a bunch of flowers in a random person’s car )
· Write out a morning gratitude list
· Smile at a stranger
· Pick up litter
· Give back
· Visit an elderly relative
· Check up on a friend you haven spoke to in a while.
· Set boundaries. Say no politely to places you don’t want to go or people you don’t want to see.
· Start to distance yourself from people who don’t make you feel good. Join a class or workshop that you are excited about and smile, so that you attract new friends.
· Limit your time scrolling on social media. Mute / unfollow people that make you feel poorly about yourself
· Spend time meditating with your two hands on your heart for five minutes every day. If you don’t know what to do or say, ask the question to yourself, tune in and listen to what your heart has to say.
· Prioritise self love: rest, dance, play, laugh and eat healthy. This self love will give you a new lease of life.
· Think back to what you loved to do as a child and start doing more of it. Somewhere along the way, we forgot about our inner child. It is time we reconnect with it and bring out its playful nature.
Your heart has no expectations on you. It is filled with love and wants you to know that you have all the resources and tools within you. You do not need to change yourself to please others, or to remould yourself. You came into this earth already perfect and your unique gifts are needed.
The truth is, it is impossible to be liked by everyone. Somebody out there is not going to like you. That is okay. Make peace with that. Because there will be people out there who think you are doing a great job. And even if you are only helping one person, isn’t that worth it?
P.S. If you want to be part of an incredible small community and do the work to live your dream life, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can put your name on the waiting list when the group launches later this year.